You've made it to Friday, which means it's time to treat yourself to a roundup of links we love. Go ahead, procrastinate a little.
We may have survived the Mayan apocalypse, but the latest issue of Lucky Peach -- which takes an imaginative approach to food in a post-apocalyptic world -- has inspired us to cook like there’s no tomorrow. (Literally.) Even if we're not facing apocalyptic doom, it can't hurt to be prepared, right? Rest easy knowing that if the fat lady ever sings, you'll be sitting happy on your stores -- while the rest of the world eats Spam. (You win!)
• An ode to the space-age concotions that will outlive us all: freeze-dried foods.
• Your emergency stash of food can never be too big. Serious people stockpile 50,000 pounds' worth.
• In honor of National Noodle Month, eat a package of non-perishable instant ramen.
• If your canned goods expire before the world ends, don’t throw them out. (There’s a chance they’ll taste better with age.)
• Because nothing eases apocalypse anxiety quite like Moroccan food, we think you'll need these preserved lemons.
• Three words: Radish. Kimchi. Pickle. Melissa Clark shows us the way.
• Whiskey will be useful here, as always. Just make sure to chase it with a pickleback. (Bonus: it may be potent enough to ward off zombies.)
Have other doom-prepping ideas? Tell us in the comments!
Photos by Joe Buglewicz (top) and Jimin Lai
Sign up now and get $10 when we open.