🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Crispy Delicata Rings with Currant, Fennel & Apple Relish

112210f_304

What would you think of substituting plain brandy for the Calvados? Or would it be better to just omit it? I'm planning on making this for Christmas. Thanks!

asked by pamelalee about 3 years ago
Buddhacat

Here is a great article on Calvados http://www.nytimes.com... Has a wonderful history and tastes of apple.

I have substituted brand in this recipe because I was too busy to run to the liquor store. I did add a little pure apple juice.

I wouldn't recommend leaving out the 1 tbsp. of alcohol - it will add depth.

ChezSuzanne will be checking in on this, I am sure, and give her brilliant, definitive recommendations.

I do love this recipe!

Chris_in_oslo

I'd also go with the brandy.

Me

Hi! We just got home from Atlanta last night and am now catching on email - sorry for the delay! Thanks SKK and Greenstuff for stepping in. Yes, brandy will work great. If you have a little apple cider hanging around, I'd add a swig of it to bring up the apple flavor, or apple juice as SKK wisely suggests!! I hope you enjoy it. Happy Holidays everyone.

Junechamp

Or, if you needed to make it alcohol-free, you could sub apple cider vinegar.

Chris_in_oslo

And thanks pamelalee, for asking the question and reminding me of this great recipe. We have some delicatas from a friend's garden, and I've just added this to the holiday line up.