🔎

A question about a recipe: Miso red miso paste

I have a question about the ingredient "red miso paste" on the recipe "Misoyaki Roast Chicken with Shoyu Onion Sauce" from timWuNotWoo.

Ss030210f449
Bestface
ImmaEatThat added about 2 years ago

From the latest issue of Lucky Peach magazine:

Aka Miso
"Tokyo's preferred miso is aka miso, a red miso made primarily with soybeans, in addition to some barley or rice. ALong with shiro miso, aka miso is one of Japan's most popular misos. Red to dark-brown in color, it packs a powerful savor wallop; assertively salty, subtly sweet, slightly bitter. The deep flavor and dark color owe themselves to several factors: a lengthy fermentation of up to three years, steamed (rather than boiled) soybeans, and a chemical occurrence called the Maillard reaction, which occurs during fermentation and causes browning, creating flavor compounds. Of all misos, red miso has the highest salt content and lowest percentage of carbohydrates, making it one of the leas perishable. (Other misos, like shinshu, aren't so shelf-stable.) It can be stored at room temperature indefinitely, ad it gets better with age. Traditionally, aka miso pairs well with tofu and eggplant, but its heartiness makes it a natural accompaniment to cold weather foods: soups, stews, braises, and meat dishes."