🔔
🔎

Do I peel the stalks?

Food52_01-17-12-9589

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Broccoli Apple Soup" from BlueKaleRoad. It says:

"Cut the broccoli florets off the stalk and set aside. Cut the stalks into 1-inch pieces. Peel the apples, core and cut into 1-inch pieces."

asked by fudgefactor over 2 years ago
Buddhacat

What is your question?

Should the broccoli stems be peeled?

Buddhacat

My recommendation is yes to peeling the stalks. I always do.

Stringio

if you have larger broccoli that has a thick woody skin around the outside, yes, but don't worry about it for the smaller offshoots of stem or smaller heads of broccoli that are already tender enough to just cook

Scan0004

Remember that the soup will be pureed, so unless the stalk has a tough 'skin,' unpeeled should be fine. I made it and had no problem -- and loved it!

Thanks. It's always nice to have another validation when something sounds delicious.

I made this soup last week and I did not peel the thicker stalks. I had no problem pureeing the soup. Enjoy!

I was wondering if you have an approximate weight for the "large" stalk of broccoli?