🔎

• 8

• 900

Do I peel the stalks?

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "Broccoli Apple Soup" from BlueKaleRoad. It says:

"Cut the broccoli florets off the stalk and set aside. Cut the stalks into 1-inch pieces. Peel the apples, core and cut into 1-inch pieces."

Food52_01-17-12-9589
Buddhacat
SKK added about 2 years ago

What is your question?

fudgefactor added about 2 years ago

Should the broccoli stems be peeled?

Buddhacat
SKK added about 2 years ago

My recommendation is yes to peeling the stalks. I always do.

CatalunaLilith added about 2 years ago

if you have larger broccoli that has a thick woody skin around the outside, yes, but don't worry about it for the smaller offshoots of stem or smaller heads of broccoli that are already tender enough to just cook

Scan0004
susan g added about 2 years ago

Remember that the soup will be pureed, so unless the stalk has a tough 'skin,' unpeeled should be fine. I made it and had no problem -- and loved it!

fudgefactor added about 2 years ago

Thanks. It's always nice to have another validation when something sounds delicious.

CarlaCooks added about 2 years ago

I made this soup last week and I did not peel the thicker stalks. I had no problem pureeing the soup. Enjoy!

Roberta Griffin added 6 months ago

I was wondering if you have an approximate weight for the "large" stalk of broccoli?