A question about a recipe: Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread

041310f_799

anyone baking this bread using convection gas oven---I can bake on a stone and add ice cubes for initial steam -- I have a really bad boy Italian gas range and like to bake in convection mode for even baking with out turning ad the mid way point

asked by jamesgang over 2 years ago

I've used a simple gas stove and don't need to turn. Did you see the note on the crust darkening with Convection mode?--read to the end.

Also fyi, I read (Bread Baker's Apprentice) not to use ice cubes.Reinhart says it robs too much heat from the oven to make the steam. What you want is an instant burst of steam. He prefers very hot water poured in a heavy or cast iron pan He says he used to spray the oven walls and that works too.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I bake this bread in an electric convection oven on "pure convection" setting, with the loaf in the middle of the oven. I always cover it lightly with foil after about 25 minutes, because the crust gets darker than I like it. Some people like a darker crust, so it's really up to you. I'm with nutcakes, too, on the steam point. It's much better to put a cast iron skillet on the bottom shelf of the oven, at the same time that you turn the oven on, so it gets very hot, then pour in some near to or boiling water, quickly, when you open the oven door to put the bread in. I've heard that it's a good idea to open the oven door very briefly after 10 or 15 minutes to allow some steam to escape. I usually just open it once, when I tent it with foil; the bread seems to be fine. ;o)

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet