🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Halloumi and Prosciutto Panini

L1050136

What is Halloumi Cheese and where can I find some? Sounds good.

asked by Chillimac over 2 years ago

It is a firm Greek cheese, usually make with goat and sheep milk. It's not crumbly, like Feta, but not soft, like chevre. I think it's traditionally grilled (without oil) in a skillet, and becomes kinda pliable, not so much stringy, like melted mozarella, but boingy and soft. It's pretty salty, so is good in combination with other things. I first had it in a sort of pilaf with couscous and dried apricots. If you've ever ordered saganaki at a Greek restaurant, that's halloumi.

You can find it at Greek or ethnic markets.

Junechamp

Actually, Saganaki is not made with Halloumi, it's traditionally made with Kasseri.

Halloumi is native to Cyprus, and is always served grilled. I can't imagine it in a panini with Prosciutto. Both of them are SO salty!

Buddhacat

Halloumi can be found at any major grocery chain in the cheese section.

Junechamp

then you know something I don't, SKK. I've only found it in specialty cheese shops or in markets in Greek neighborhoods.

Buddhacat

Here in Seattle Whole Foods and QFC carries it. Also have seen it at Costco at times.

Try Trader Joe's. You grill it and it remains firm. Serve hot and enjoy!!!!!! It is good with pepper jelly and fruit.