How long do you grill salmon?

asked by Phil Geiger over 2 years ago

It depends. What cut and size?

Bigpan

If you are saying grill on a bbq then a hot grill well oiled skin die down to get it crispy and when you start to see fatty white protein coming out it is done. Should still be "wet" inside. (I am speaking of sockeye). Some like to grill without skin - if that is your preference make sure it is well oiled and turn after you get grill marks. I think crispy skin is the best part.
I am assuming you are cooking a fillet and not the so-called steak cut.

Thickness, cut (steaks or filets), with skin or without, type of grill (gas or charcoal ), your personal preference of doneness (rare to well done), type of grilling (direct, indirect, planking) all effect grill time.
Best advice is to watch it while it cooks. Poke it or take its temp and experiment. Have a glass of wine and relax.

Img_0777_(2)

depends how you like you fish, me, I like it med. so broil, (oven hot) 8 min for average fillet, then take out let sit a minute. if you like your fish less done slightly lessen cook time, but always allow for "sit" time.

bake same thing.

4 minutes a side per inch of thickness. If grilling, oil the grates when med-high and put salmon on flesh side down. Turn a quarter turn after 2 minutes for grill marks. Flip after total of 4 minutes, reduce grill to medium for remaining 3-4 minutes

I like my salmon slightly undercooked in the center, so I pull mine out early, seal them in a foil packet, and allow them to steam for a few additional minutes.

Oh, and I'd definitely aim for undercooked rather than overcooked. An overcooked piece of salmon will be rubbery and fishy tasting.

About 7 minutes on each side, skin side down first. However this could change depending on the thickness or thinness of your filet.

10-15 minutes