A question about a recipe: Tartine Bakery's Lemon Cream

Food52_02-28-2012-1502

I think I'm missing something so apologies in advance. That said, would you mind clarifying what makes this quicker and less tart than a typical lemon curd if the ingredients are the same and the process is almost the same, except that the butter is added at the end in the food processor.

asked by ATG117 over 2 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

The difference in tartness is mostly to do with proportions. Namely, there's a lot of butter in here (though it isn't heavy, like a buttercream frosting).

It's a time-saving technique because you spend less time standing by the stove waiting for the mixture to thicken than if you added the butter up front, and you also cool it rapidly by blending in cold butter. It's not a dramatic shortcut, but the recipe does come together very quickly. I hope this helps!

Here's the full blog post, in case you missed it: http://www.food52.com/blog...

I had read the blog post. It was great, just didn't catch the nuance. Thanks for the clarification. Love these posts.