🔎

• 2

• 680

• See other questions tagged:
    • broth

A question about a recipe: Zesty Herbed Chicken Broth

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Zesty Herbed Chicken Broth" from lechef. It says: Why is this not a stock vs a broth?

"Use the broth in your favorite dish, or boil to reduce by half and freeze. To use, defrost and dilute with an equal part of water."

030910f_616
Noz_photo
nzle added about 2 years ago

Technically a broth is a stock that is ready for sipping! The salt and seasonings in this recipe qualify it as a broth, able to be enjoyed alone outside of a soup or stew.

Scplogoblog
Slow Cooked Pittsburgh added about 2 years ago

Also, stock is generally made using bones (which are sometimes roasted), aromatics, herbs and vegetables. Broth is typically made using vegetables and aromatics and sometimes meat (but not bones). This is why stock (should be) thicker, darker and stronger than broth. There is also something called remoulage, which is what you get when you make stock from bones that have already been cooked (for example, if you have roasted a chicken and decide to make stock from the leftover carcass). Remoulage is somewhere in between stock and broth in terms of color, clarity and lightness.