50 FAVORITES UNDER $50 (TALK ABOUT A WIN-WIN). SHOP NOW »

Good kiwi jam recipe that doesn't use pectin?

I would like to try canning some kiwi jam. Not sure about the natural pectin content in kiwis, and am not a fan of commercial pectin. Do I need to add a grated apple?

asked by Darlene Carrigan about 4 years ago
120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I don't have a recipe for you, but I highly recommend using Pomona's Pectin. It's actually made from apple pectin, and it allows you to use less sugar. If you're set on not using pectin, though, you might just try cooking the jam longer until it "sheets" (comes off a spoon in a sheet rather than in droplets when held over the pan) off a spoon. In any case, the grated apple is a clever idea, and it wouldn't add much, if any, flavor to indicate that you used apple at all. Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

One little correction to petitbleu's answer: Pomona's Pectin is actually 100% citrus pectin, no preservatives and no dextrose added. There is a recipe on the Pomona's directions and recipes sheet for cooked low-sugar or honey kiwi jam. Because Pomona's jells in the presence of calcium (included in the box with the pectin), you can use low amounts of any sweetener you choose. The directions/recipes sheet is available to study on the Pomona's website: www.pomonapectin.com. Pomona's is different from other pectin because it gives the cook so much creative control. In the interests of full disclosure, I am a partner in Workstead Industries, which brings you Pomona's Pectin.

36188133 f88b 459b b650 3dbe0ffce436  pupclean box 300 dpi