Using Up White Wine

OK, my dear husband bought two bottles of cheap chardonnay that I don't like (and therefore don't want to gift), so i'm looking for ideas to use it up. Using it when sautéing, of course, and making white wine vinegar (though I'm not sure I want to start that project). Any recipes that need a fair amount of wine?

asked by micook over 2 years ago
Waffle3

My two cents: I don't ever cook with a wine I won't drink.

Ditto what ChefOno says. If it is inexpensive, find the drain and dump it out. Life is too short to to cook with, or drink, bad wine.

Photo-1

I agree, if you don't like the flavor, you won't like what you make with it.

I asked this question before and got some good suggestions, but the wine was truly awful and I ended up throwing it away. However, I cook with 2 buck chuck all the time and honestly cannot tell the difference once the wine cooks down a little. I am wondering if it is possible to poach fruit in white wine - I love red wine poached pears. If you add sugar and spices, the flavors of the wine are masked anyways....

Junechamp

I love pears poached in white wine, and serve them (not spiced) with fresh lime sabayon.

Actually, I think the poached fruit is a great idea. The wine's a little sweet, which wouldn't be a problem if you're adding spices. Thanks!

Also try reducing the white wine into a syrup, and throw in cinnamon sticks etc. Perfect for a "boozy" dessert later.

http://www.realsimple.com...

Coquilles St. Jaques (scallops) would also be nice as the wine is going to cook down. You will only need about a half cup. What? Do you really think restaurants make this dish with champagne? Maybe Keller does.

Junechamp

Many of the chefs I know cook with box wine they keep in their walkins. and I'm talking about the Franzia box, that none of them would be caught dead drinking -- it's really nasty. However, it cooks just fine. I've used it many times when guesting. (would never take up space with it at my home, tho).

Dsc_0028

Julia Moskin in March 21, 2007 NY Times wrote about testing wines for cooking. Her finding? "Cheap wine works fine". Google the article for the details.

Waffle3

Of course inexpensive wines are fine for cooking. The nuances of fine wine are usually pretty much lost when you put the fire to it. But if you don't like the flavor, reducing it -- concentrating the flavor -- is probably not the right choice. Especially chardonnay which, more often than not, is overoaked to begin with.

Buerre Blanc is very versatile and is a food way to use up wine. And the lack if quality won show that much.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet