Making boneless soup bone Mexican Cabbage Soup

How to make soup-bone soup without soup bones - have stew beef, potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes, rice, cumin. I was going to brown beef first, in batches, then add water, potatoes, tomatoes & spices - cumin, bay leaf?. Simmer for a bit, then add rice and cabbage.

asked by Texan Zach over 2 years ago

Maybe instead of water add some broth..chicken or beef for a boost in flavor. Make sure to scrape up the fon from the browned beef with whatever liquid you use.

Waffle3

There are a number of tricks you can use to punch up the soup. If you have time to run to the store, you can purchase "soup base" under various brand names ("Better Than Bouillon" is one). A little of that goes a long way. Stock or broth would be my second and third choices. A tablespoon of tomato paste, some reduced red wine, *a little* Worcestershire sauce will all add umami. And to replicate the silky mouthfeel from the simmered bone, bloom a packet of unflavored gelatin in some cold water and throw that in at the end.

I'd stage the potatoes with the rice and cabbage.