Is it possible to freeze tomatoes?

asked by addybhandari about 2 years ago

I freeze them all the time before I cook or can them. I wouldn't eat them fresh but cooked is fine.

Pot

Yes, but the consistency won't be the same. At the end of the summer, I freeze really good tomatoes by chopping them up and putting them in freezer bags. (I don't bother skinning or de-seeding them.) They are delicious and great in cooked dishes, but not pretty enough to use in salads.

Buddhacat

There are so many ways to preserve foods, including tomatoes. It is really a matter of flavors and textures that appeal to you. I freeze tomato paste http://food52.com/recipes... and can be used in so many applications. I dehydrate tomatoes and rehydrate them when needed. I also can tomato sauce. How many tomatoes are you speaking of?

Just a few, maybe about 6?

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I recently read in Peter Kaminsky's interesting new book, "Culinary Intelligence," that tomatoes that have been slow roasted and then frozen are outstanding. I'm planning to try that method that this summer. ;o)

Dsc_0002_2

I have done this often. It is a super way to preserve a little summer perfection for a chilly grey day.

Dsc_0048b

I've done this with great success.

This month's "Cooks Illustrated" prefers freezing to any other method. Seems odd, since chilled tomatoes lose taste. Nevertheless...

I've frozen tomato soup, tomato sauce, and ketchup that I've made from fresh tomatoes at the height of tomato season in the summer. All freeze beautifully. It never occured to me to freeze fresh tomatoes. You've given me food for thought, as it were. Thanks!

I freeze whole unpeeled tomatoes in ziploc bags to use in sauces. When I need some, I take a few from the freezer, put them in the boiling water with the pasta til the skins separate, fish them out and peel and chop them and put them in a sautée pan with garlic and herbs to make sauce. Sometimes i'll add some of the pasta water in to help thaw and cook the tomatoes. there is no exact way that I do it.

I generally freeze tomatoes when I just have too many to eat before they spoil. So far, I don't can them but I would like to.

Sorry for the double post.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Add your answer here

Slow-roasted, whole , as a s imple sauce, part of a soup,etc,etc.--tomatoes freeze well, full of flavor. And a wonderful taste of Summer!

Blanch them in boiling water to remove the peels. Place in freezer bags and enjoy the rest of the year. Great for sauces and as parts of other recipes. Been doing this for years.