🔎

• 6

• 3097

can you store dried beans and grains in the freezer?

I have a horrible problem with pantry moths.... They have even hit my secret chocolate stash!

Noz_photo
nzle added over 1 year ago

I'm so sorry about your moth problem! They're the worst.

Yes, you can absolutely store them in the freezer without damage, just make sure they're well-wrapped to prevent them from absorbing smells. I store all of my grains and beans in the fridge as a matter of course, just because there's more free space there than in the freezer.

Louisa added over 1 year ago

Nozlee, is it better to store grains and beans in the freezer than in the cabinet/pantry? I have large bags of rice and wonder if they get old?

Noz_photo
nzle added over 1 year ago

I store mine in the fridge/freezer because you only have to lose a 5 lb bag of grains to moths/weevils once to be cautious forever! If you buy grains in small-ish portions and keep them well-wrapped, you shouldn't have problems in your pantry. For a large bag of rice, though I would play better safe than sorry and keep any open bags in the fridge.

Dsc_0002_2
threefresheggs added over 1 year ago

Grains at least, are better stored in the freezer/'fridge than in the pantry; like nuts, they can go 'off'. I am throughly jealous of anyone who has space in either place. I only do it for the most expensive and/or least used.

kbckitchen added over 1 year ago

I read/heard somewhere that after purchasing grains, pasta,etc. items that are susceptible to weevils that if placed in freezer for 48 hours they should be okay in pantry. In other words that
freezing kills any live bugs or larvae. anyone. else

chef of the future 2000 added over 1 year ago

Dried beans should last forever in the freezer. Whole grains can get soggy in the fridge or Even rancid.