Favorite kitchen shears?

I am looking for a good, sturdy pair of kitchen shears to replace the dinky ones that came with a knife set that my husband ill-advisedly bought several years ago. Have looked at several pairs, including the Messermeister and Shun pairs recommended by Cook's Illustrated, but am really at a loss. My old pair is getting the boot because the paint on the metal handle is chipping and because even when the blades are sharp, the shears are not safe to use for cutting up a chicken. Does the intersection between a good, safe grip and the blades detaching easily to clean actually exist?

asked by vivanat about 2 years ago

I have the wustoff 5558 model previously recommended by cooks illustrated. Super sharp, perfect for chicken back removal, come apart easily for washing. Had them for 4 years and they are like new.

Baci1

I have these Messermeister kitchen shears and I love them:
http://www.amazon.com/dp...

I've used them to spatchcock chickens (no problems). They detach easily for cleaning. I get them sharpened professionally every year. I've had mine for 7 years now and bought a 2nd pair for other non-kitchen use about 4 years ago. It's also bargain for $20.

Dsc_0028

I have the Kuhn Rikon Ultimate Shears. Check them out on Amazon. They're great -- wonderful for cutting up chickens, the best I've tried for that task. These are about $24 -- there is a slightly cheaper model, about $20 -- don't get that one. I find the grips on the handles are easier to use on the more expensive model, especially for a woman's hands. (Yes, I have both models!)

I have several pairs of shears, but as with knives they must feel right in your hand. Anything Shun works for me, but shameless plug for Food52 I did receive an Oxo shear as swag a couple of years ago and it seems to be the one I reach for most often---because it's hanging right there on my bar. However sturdy kitchen scissors will do the job for you and they do multi-task---like use them to scale fish. Mine are Inox from France.