🔔
🔎

Testing an Avocado for ripeness

I was having a discussion with my friend about avocados. My stance is that in order to tell if an avocado is ripe, you have to gently feel/squeeze and test it's softness. He disagrees, and claims that you have to shake the avocado next to your ear to hear the seed rattle. Can someone please weigh in on this?

asked by James Durazzo about 2 years ago
Chris_in_oslo

Your friend is selecting for over-ripe avocados.

There are Mexican varietals for which your friend's standard is true. But if you're buying Avocados at almost any American market, you'll be dealing with haas-types for which a rattly seed is not a good sign at all.
There are many of different types of avocados, many smooth and ranging in size up to osterich egg. It would be inteeresting to see the 'heirloom' mentality applied to them, and imported or produced in small batches, but I don't see that happening any time soon on a wide scale.

I test the Haas avocado the same way you do. I've never heard of the shake test.

You are right. He is wrong.

I think your friend thought you asked how to test a coconut for ripeness.