🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Can I use plain yogurt in a chocolate sour cream frosting?

I am making a chocolate sour cream frosting (in a similar vein to Amanda's Chocolate Dump-It Cake) wondering if I could use plain yogurt (already in my fridge) instead of sour cream. I have used yogurt successfully in baking recipes whenever sour cream is called for but as this is for frosting, should I not make the substitution?

asked by saragrad about 2 years ago
Food

I have never tried this substitution before but I don't see it being an issue. It will just be a bit more tart and runny than it would with sour cream.

Absolutely. I don't even think it will necessarily be "more tart and runny" depending on what kind of yogurt you use, and given the wide variation of sour cream flavor and texture.

Dsc00426

I would drain it overnight in the fridge in a sieve lined with cheesecloth or a coffee filter first or it might be too liquidy.

If your yogurt is low fat, I wouldn't use it--I think it would be too unsubstantial and lacking in mouth feel for a frosting. Greek yogurt might work--it is thicker and has a high fat content. At any rate, draining the yogurt over night is a very good idea.

Dsc00731

Thanks for all of your thoughts on this! Decided to go out and get a tub of sour cream in the end as I only had 0% yogurt in the fridge, which is pretty runny, sort of like heavy cream. But if I had greek yogurt I would definitely subtitute it next time.