🔎

I recently picked up a jar of vanilla bean paste. If a recipe calls for one vanilla bean, what's the appropriate amount of paste to sub?

Kay_at_lake
Cakecake
campagnes added over 3 years ago

Oooh, love vanilla bean paste! One teaspoon equals one bean.

I think I've read that vanilla bean paste can be subbed in equal amounts for vanilla extract, but I find that to be too strong.. usually 1/2 tsp. paste for 1 tsp. extract is perfect to me.

innoabrd added over 3 years ago

I've not seen the paste. What is it, ground bean in some sort of vehicle?

Ozoz_profile
Kitchen Butterfly added over 3 years ago

Generally when a recipe calls for vanilla extract, 1/2 the amount of vanilla powder or paste should be used. Now I would definitely say a vanilla bean was about 3/4s of a teaspoon or a scant teaspoon though I've never used or made the paste. The powder and extract - yes. http://www.kitchenbutterfly...

Soozll added over 3 years ago

Neilson-Massey makes vanilla bean paste. It says on the jar that 1 tablespoon of vanilla bean paste equals 1 whole vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.

Cakecake
campagnes added over 3 years ago

ah, you're right, Soozll.. one tbsp = one bean. I was stuck on the equivalent of paste to extract.. I still think the paste about twice as strong as the extract, but that might be personal preference.

Kay_at_lake
Kayb added over 3 years ago

Thanks, all!