🔔
🔎

Apple pie spice: What is the best blend/ratio of spices for apple pies, apple crisps and similar desserts? Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

asked about 2 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

I'm a big fan of Midge's spare spicing here: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Or if you're looking for a more warmly spiced pie, MrsWheelbarrow's is excellent too: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Thank you, Kristen. I'm going to try MrsW's. ;o)

Chris_in_oslo

Kristen's answer is a good demonstration of the fact that there is no "best." Midge doesn't use any spice at all. And neither of her recommendations include some favorites--nutmeg, allspice, cloves. Sometimes cardamom really makes the pie. Some people love, others hate, ginger.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Greenstuff, you're so right. I should have phrased that as, "What spice blend to you prefer?" I've always used nutmeg in a my pies and crisps, but now think I might try going without, just to see. I'm also playing with spice blends to mix in with steel cut oats cooked with Granny Smiths, which is becoming my favorite breakfast these days. (And is a great way to use up the big box of GS apples that my kind neighbor gave me last week!) Thanks so much. ;o)

AJ, do you cook the apples with the oatmeal? How do you prepare them? (sliced, chunked, etc.)

Junechamp

Like my mom, I really enjoy the taste of the fruit, so although we have always added a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, mace to apple pie, the practice is to halve whatever the recipe calls for.

I prefer cardamom with pears.

ATL

Like my mother, I've always added a little vanilla to my apple pies.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

drbabs, I cut them into quarters, unpeeled, then medium dice, then microwave them for a minute while preparing for reheating the oatmeal (which I have been cook separately, as I generally make two or three days' worth at a time by starting the cooking on the stove for a few minutes, covering and letting sit overnight). Into the cooked steel cut oats I stir a couple tablespoons of ground flaxseed, a few shakes of cinnamon and allspice, 5 or 6 raisins or a few dates (from the farmers' market) and a couple big glugs of homemade almond milk. Once that's been heated, I stir in the (perfectly) cooked green apple dice. ;o)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

drbabs, also, I'm going to bake a bunch of those Granny Smiths, the next time I have the oven on for something else, filling them with raisins/dates/pecans and spices; I'll use some of those in our steel cut oats, too! ;o)