🔎

• 13

• 2992

• See other questions tagged:
    • lemons

A recipe for using up a lot of lemons?

Image
Pict1821

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

This thread might help with some ideas: http://www.food52.com/hotline...

Onionavatar

Michael is a developer at Food52.

Once you've used Lindsay-Jean's suggestion to find a use for all of that juice, how about making some limoncello with the zest?

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

And of course, you must preserve some. Make a few jars, spicing each differently. I routinely play with crushed coriander seed, cinnamon sticks and bay leaf. Some people add chilies to theirs. My next batch, I'm going to add some sprigs of rosemary.

Another idea, and timely for the season ahead, is to candy the peel! Use the juice from those lemons to make rosemary lemonade.

You can also just freeze the juice. I make 8-ounce jars of rosemary syrup which I freeze and keep on hand with 4 ounce jars of frozen lemon juice, to have on hand when company stops by. (I do the same thing with mint syrup and lime juice to make vvvanessa's Mint Limeade!)

And don't forget to save the pips and membranes (freeze them) to tie into cheesecloth and drop into your jam kettle next summer, as they are full of natural pectin.

Have fun!! ;o)

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added over 1 year ago

I recently had a bunch of lemons I didnt want to go to waste so I made lemonade syrup: 2 c. sugar in 1 c. water in a saucepan, add rind from 3 lemons (used a veg peeler to quickly peel thin yellow rind, avoid pelling into white part). Add 1/8 tsp. salt and bring to a boil; boil 5 mins. Cool then add juice from 6 lemons. Strain and store in glass bottle. Add 1-2 Tbsp. to a glass of seltzer on ice.

Jc_profilepic
Sadassa_Ulna added over 1 year ago

Oops - And then store bottle in the fridge.

Baci1
HalfPint added over 1 year ago

Make lemon curd. It's easy and freezable.

08270410avatar_messbrasil
mensaque added over 1 year ago

If life gives you lemon have some lemonade,or mix the juice on some sweetened condensed milk,and the zest on the crust and merengue,and have some pie.Now if life gives you lime...try some arab food.

Junechamp

I've been known to zest the lemons and freeze it, then juice those babies and freeze the juice in a glass jar. Be sure to mark how much (in volume) you have in there so when you're ready to use it you won't be guessing.

Sarah_chef

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

You can also dry the zest, blitz it in a spice grinder and mix it with salt or sugar to season things.

see added over 1 year ago

Why not squeeze the juice and freeze it in ice cube trays? When frozen take the cubes out of the trays and store in freezer bags. Each cube is approx 1-2 teaspoons of juice and can be used easily in recipes. I also grate the zest and freeze it until I need it.

Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago

Get a big jar (BIG) and make Moroccan preserved lemons. Google will give you a simple recipe. Use kosher or sea salt instead of the chemical one. In six to eight weeks you will have lemons that will last a year - and, you can repackage in small jars for Christmas gifts!

Birthday_2012

Meg is a trusted home cook.

lemon marmalade is delicious, also lemon pickle(Indian)

dvhcs added over 1 year ago

Recipe: "Life Without Lemons"
Ingredients - 50 lemons and 10 plastic freezer bags.
Method - Cut lemons in half, put 5 lemons in each bag and put bags in freezer.