🔔
🔎

Frozen Really Ripe Peaches

I was able to buy over-ripe peach baskets at our famers' market this summer for $5 each. I peeled and sliced them (very juicy!) put them in freezer bags and dumped them in the freezer. Now I'm wondering what to do with them, as they are so very juicy...?

asked by Louisa about 2 years ago
Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Jams, jellies, chutneys! They'd also probably be amazing baked into muffins or a cake like this (for baking, you'll want to defrost first to get the slices to separate a bit): http://food52.com/recipes...

I second that motion! Peach jam and lavender scones are one of my favorite things. Also I always have smoothies for breakfast so that's obviously an easy option. If you gave an ice cream machine, make peach ice cream!!!!!

Thanks! The peach baskets were huge, so I've got enough frozen peaches to do jam and cake.
Peaches too soupy for a cobbler?

Drain them and boil down the liquid to reduce. Or once you have cooked the peaches down, remove them with a slotted spoon and boil down the liquid. Your concern seems to be the liquid or juiciness-dont be fraid to reduce.

Frozen peach margaritas! I freeze peaches all summer especially for this purpose, and have been told by several guests these are the best margaritas they've ever had...
Here's the recipe...

1 pound frozen peaches
1/4 cup lime juice
A scant 1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup tequila
A scant 1/4 cup of peach liqueur or triple sec
2 cups of ice
Blend and enjoy!!

Peach margaritas sound great--thanks for the recipe.
Also may do peach bellinis.
Peach baskets are x-large. I have a lot of frozen peaches.

L1020855

Cobbler sounds like a good use too. The method where you put your cobbler batter in the bottom of the pan, and the sugared peaches on top is a good no fail recipe.Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Thaw 3 cups of peaches and place one cup of sugar on them .The sugar will make them very juicy.This is good.In an ovenproof casserole dish ,melt two tbsp of butter to grease the pan. It should be rather large ,rather than deep, to give maximum surface area of cobbler ( roughly 10x 14 inches and at least 3 inches deep ; it must hold the batter and peaches and be no more than 3/4 full before baking ).In a large mixing cup , stir together one cup each of AP flour and milk and sugar. Add 1 tsp baking powder and the melted butter from the baking dish. The batter will be thin like pancake mix. Pour it back into the baking dish and layer the peaches and sugar on top.It will look like a soupy mess as it goes into the oven. I often bake this on a cookie sheet ,because it can bubble over. Bake it for an hour,then enjoy with vanilla ice cream. It is an adaptable recipe for all seasons. Try it with apples or pears in the fall and berries and peaches in summer. The crust will rise to the top and the fruit will sink into the batter. NJoy!!!