🔔
🔎

Vinaigrettes:Using Nut Butters instead of Nut Oils?

I love walnut, hazelnut and pistachio vinaigrettes but the Roland nut oils are really crummy and the full flavored nut oils are WICKED expensive.Have any of you tried grinding your own toasted? hazelnuts,walnuts,pistachios- into a paste and using some of that in a vinaigrette (to clarify- i'm not interested in tahini or peanuts here.) If so, plse share your experiences, recipes etc!
*I'm not suggesting anyone would substitute one for one nut butter for nut oil in a vinaigrette; just wondering if canola oil and/or evoo plus SOME nut butter- might equate using a nut oil.* Thx much.

asked by LE BEC FIN almost 2 years ago
Monita_photo

I've never made a vinaigrette this way but from recipes I've seen, you could make a very nice creamy vinaigrette with a nut paste. Put together your vinaigrette base first and stir in the nut paste. Make a paste with a 1/2 cup of nuts -- in a mortar/pestle if you have one. Stir in a little at a time until you get the texture/taste you seek

Jc_profilepic

I've never tried it either. I wonder if it would help to grind the nuts a day in advance so the oil could separate out from the solids. Then you could use straight nut oil no evoo or canola. The solids left behind could be added to cookies or bread or hummus, etc. Just a thought, please post your results!

Photo_squirrel

ulna, yes! but>> i have a feeling that the reason the good nut oils are so expensive- is that it takes a TON of nuts to yield a little nut oil.
And yes, monita, that's how i would do it as well. I think a hazelnut or almond version would be nice on a beet salad at least.

Chris_in_oslo

I've never tried it with nuts either, but dressing made with tahini--sort of the same thing with sesame seeds, are delicious. My first impulse was the same as Monita's to add the nut butter last. But then I thought it might be good to whisk it in to your vinegar etc. first and then slowly whisk in whatever extra olive or other oil you use. Like you say, it won't be like using a nut oil, but it could be very good.

You can also try making your own "nut oil" by mashing some nuts with some olive oil either in a small food processor or hand blender. The texture will, of course, be a bit chunky, but you can get some of the nut flavor infused into oil