YEAR-ROUND LOVE. GIVE MOM A GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING. SHOP NOW »

Considering buying a pressure cooker as a gift, any advise on particular type or brand?

asked by SPB over 3 years ago

I always go to Amazon and read all the reviews. I especially read the one or two bad reviews to see if they are relevant. I have great success buying kitchen ware that way.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

This is about pressure canners, not pressure cookers, but the advice might be helpful to you: http://www.sbcanning.com...

I have a Presto pressure canner. It is durable and works well. The instructions where clear and easy to understand. The Presto pressure cookers also review well on amazon.

7e3191e5 c572 49d0 a90b f5e118b30d93  img 4692

We have been using a Joyclad 3.7 QT (Clad Co LTD / made in korea) pressure cooker for several years about once every two weeks with no problems. I've not used others so I have nothing to compare it to. Also, I did a quick search and could not find it.

867584ac 4dad 4c08 be01 6e5fada4edb6  jill nussinow happiness

If I were going to buy someone a gift pressure cooker, I would buy either a B/R/K set, or a Fagor Duo, Futuro or Chef. A 6 quart is a good all around size but that would depend upon how many people someone cooks for. How much you want to spend will also determine which cooker you purchase. Good luck with this decision.

3d9a3882 c161 441f 8a91 0efd10979f7c  2007 09 11e s4

I have 2 of 'em. I bought the Fagor Duo Combi about 6 years ago I fihured that a stovetop unit would be easy to control, I'd be able to brown the meats in the same pan I will be pressure cooking it in and the two pans that come with the set would add to my collection. It works great on a propane stovetop and the pans do a fine job as a spare saucepans. It works much like the older stovetop cookers. You simply crank up the heat under it and when it begins venting steam, the pressure is up and you can reduce the heat enough to keep just a little venting going on. The set cost me $109 back then and the best price I've seen lately was $125. Remember, though, it does come with two pans, a glass lid that works on both pans and a steamer basket.

About a year later, a friend sent me Cuisinart 1000 watt 6 quart electric pressure cooker. It has a setting to brown your meat as well as regular cooking settings plus a keep-warm setting. Apparently this one regulates the pressure inside by regulating the internal temperature, as there is no venting. I like that. It cost just under $100 back then, and still does.

I've used both of them quite a bit - sometimes even at the same time! Take your pick - either one will do a good job for you.

Oh, and if you have never owned/used on, I recommend Vickie Smith ("Miss Vickie") book "Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes." The first part of the book is all about pressure cookers and how they work and how to care for one. There are also a gazillion or so recipes in it. Miss Vickie also has a webstie at http://missvickie.com/ .

9d56d633 35ce 40be a593 f0c20155369c  pressure cookers 2

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

The Swiss Made Kuhn Rikon. Is pricy, but highly rated and used in the "Modernist Cookbook"
http://www.amazon.com/s...

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I love my Kuhn Rikon.

The NESCO electronic pressure cooker/slow cooker/rice steamer available at walmart ($79) -(may only be available online depending on your area) has brought nothing but joy to my life. It's the only electronic pressure cooker I've found where the "hi" setting is a true 15 psi, so there's no need to modify recipes. There's no "pst-pst-pst" sound. No constant monitoring of the stove! You can set a delay start time. It automatically changes to the "warm" setting when the time ends (in case you get stuck in traffic on the way home)
40 minutes to the most awesome clear chicken broth using the leftover carcass of a rotisserie chicken, 20 minutes to a rich beef stew, etc. etc. etc. After my brother saw how it worked, he asked for it to be his birthday present. (he got it) I hope my "couldn't be happier" attitude comes through here.