🔎

Monita_photo

Monita is a recipe tester for Food52 and a trusted source on General Cooking.

Voted the Best Answer!

Has it been covered and at a low temp? Sounds like ti needed to reduce more. A higher temp and uncovered would make that happen

candacemay added over 1 year ago

I would add a 8oz brick of cream cheese it would help thicken. Also some grated parmesan cheese. only other option tomato paste might help

Adg_specialists_pictures_215
gt9 added over 1 year ago

I agree with Monita. Have you been cooking covered this whole time?

Anne Minton added over 1 year ago

Thank you all! I cooked it low and covered overnight. It added 2 cans of paste and a handful of grated parm reggiano and ii am leaving it uncovered and it seems to be doing to trick!! Thank you!

Bigpan
bigpan added over 1 year ago

A bit if extra fine bread crumbs can help. As you boil it down the flavors will intensify, so you might have to add some liquid ... sounds counter productive, but you want it to taste good and not like a tin of tomato paste.

Kristen W. added over 1 year ago

In addition to what big pan said, a pinch of sugar can help balance the acidity of the tomato paste.

Sam1148 added over 1 year ago

If your sauce super acid..a pinch of baking soda mellows it out better than sugar. But just a pinch. Too much will neutralize all the flavor.

Lulusleep
babytiger added over 1 year ago

Chicken wing tips! I know that is kind of weird, but the gelatin released from the wing tips thicken the sauce nicely, and also add some flavor.

Speaking as a hard core Roman cook I can't imagine why anyone would want to cook a "spaghetti sauce" for twelve hours. Or even four hours. In Italy a sauce for pasta is usually pretty loose. Even a rich bolognese style sauce shouldn't take that long.

Anne Minton added over 1 year ago

Pierino! I would love to have one of your sauce recipes!?? I am making the sauce as my Mother used to make it but am always looking for a better way! Thank you!

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I cook my tomato sauce in the oven. The bigger & the flatter the pan is, the faster the sauce will evaporate. I tend to set short timers, like 15-20 minutes, and stir when the timers go off. This way I can keep an eye pn my sauce and take it to the exact thickness I want, and also I can keep the edges from getting too burnt. My stove stays cleaner and I don't have to worry about the bottom of my sauce pot burning! This is great advice for making chutney and quick berry jam too.