🔕 🔔

When you measure something like sour cream or yogurt, do you use a measuring cup for liquid, or a metal measuring cup?

asked by Betsy Babinecz almost 3 years ago

Any fan of Alton Brown would know the best tool for the job is an Adjust-A-Cup. Absent that, use a dry measuring cup, striking the ingredient off level using the back of a knife.

I'm not sure about Alton Brown, but otherwise agree with ChefOno.

My preference for measuring gooey or viscous stuff like yogurt or sour cream is my scale. Metrics are easy because 100 grams measures 100 milliliters. For standard measure, 1 cup weighs 8 ounces so sometimes you will need to do some arithmetic. My take on Alton Brown? He is the best the food network has to offer.

As you are talking about volume as opposed to weight (unless you are baking) it really doesn't matter which you use. Precision matters less than taste.

For "grouping" purposes, ingredients such as sour cream, yogurt, cream cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, are considered liquids because they contain a high ratio of liquid to solids. You can use a liquid measure for ingredients such as sour cream, yogurt, eggs (when the quantity called for is given in ounces), cottage cheese, whereas sour cream is so conveniently packaged either in 8-ounce packages or when in bulk packs (3 pounds, for example), the inner plastic sleeve is graduated in 8-ounce increments. When in danger or doubt, though, a scale is the best solution.

My rule of thumb for this: if you are measuring something that is self leveling (such as water, milk) use the measures made for liquid-by-volume. If you are measuring something that would have to be leveled off (yogurt, flour), use the unit cups or spoons and follow Chef Ono.