🔔
🔎

Anguyen-headshot-blog
Andrea Nguyen

Andrea is a cooking teacher, food writer, contributing editor at SAVEUR, and a cookbook author; her latest book is The Banh Mi Handbook.

Danke, while I've not made the khaman-dhokla recipe you're asking about, my sense is that the dumpling mixture ideally comes out like a steamed cake. I'd try resteaming it to recook; if that didn't work, I'd cut it into pieces and bake them at 350 or 375 to remove some of the moisture (check it every 5 to 8 minutes). However, that's a moot point for you now.

What kind of steamer did you use? I'd use a Chinese steamer (bamboo or stainless steel) to prevent excess moisture from dripping down onto the batter during cooking. If you make the recipe again, hedge your bet by using a little less water (say, 3 tablespoons). A thick Greek yogurt may do the trick too.