Freezing Passover dishes

Can the following dishes be frozen a week ahead of Passover? Matzo balls, potato kugel and flourless chocolate cake. If "yes" on the matzo balls, should I freeze them dry or in broth? Thanks!

asked by akrainey over 2 years ago
8425a5f0-773c-4ccd-b24e-9e75b44477a8--monita_photo

It's ok to freeze the matzoh balls. I would freeze them separately from the broth. Also ok to freeze the potato kugel. Make sure it's completely cooled. Wrap in plastic wrap then foil. I wouldn't freeze the flourless cake. Don't think that will hold up well

23b88974-7a89-4ef5-a567-d442bb75da04--avatar

I would put them in ziplock bags too before freezing them (to retain the moisture).

Wholefoods_user_icon

I've successfully frozen the knaidlach right in the soup -it really makes life easier. Just make sure to defrost the container of soup in the fridge before transferring it to a pot.

I've had success freezing a few flourless chocolate cakes -" Nana Jose's Chocolate Pecan Cake fromthe NY Times April 1, 2009, and the "Mock Chestnut Torte in Marcy Goldman's " A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking"
p.294 worked beautifuuly. I put a chocolate ganache with coffee and bittersweet chocolate on the rozen cake when i unwrap it the morning I plan to serve it, and it's absolutely perfect
Some flourless chocolate cakes do get dry and crumbly, so I would experiment while you still have time.

I think flourless chocolate cakes freeze wonderfully. Plastic wrap, foil, and then into the really large freezer bags. I agree that you can freeze matzoh balls as well.

4798a9c2-4c90-45e5-a5be-81bcb1f69c5c--junechamp

I've been freezing matzoh balls in the chicken soup for decades. It saves space in the freezer, and nothing suffers in the thaw-out. Flourless chocolate cake freezes better than beautifully. I've been known to find them in the freezer close to a year later and they're still fine. (I frost mine with whipped cream.) The Kugel will also freeze very well. I would reheat it from frozen. Don't thaw it out.