🔎

• 5

• 11011

Make ahead & freezing matzoh balls?

Can matzoh balls be made in advance and frozen, then reheated in the soup? If so, should they be cooked first, or frozen uncooked? Frozen individually, or in the soup liquid? TIA.

100_0933
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Joan Nathan, the author of many Jewish cookbooks, said in the New York Times in 2009: "Yes you can freeze them. There are two ways. Either you can cook them and freeze them right in the soup or cook them, drain them, and freeze them on a cookie sheet. When they are frozen just put them in a baggy."

Junechamp

I can say from personal experience that they freeze just fine. I've never tried freezing them separately. We put them into the soup and freeze the whole thing together.

Dinner's ready in a jiffy. ;)

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added about 3 years ago

I've only frozen them in the soup when there's lots of leftovers, and they are "fine" but I've noticed that sometimes they shred a little around the edges upon reheating. Not a big deal, but not as pretty. I think that Joan Nathan's cookie sheet method would avoid that - what a great idea (if only I had room in my freezer for a cookie sheet of matzo bal)!

jwolfsthal added about 3 years ago

i don't see any reason why they can't be mixed and then frozen to use when needed. I would bring to fridge temperature before putting in soup.

Dsc_0048b

My guess, and it's totally a guess as I've never tried freezing the raw batter, is that this method might make the matzo balls more dense and a bit harder. For some people, this is a plus. I had an aunt who preferred them like golf balls. For those who prefer a fluffier ball, you might lose some lightness. My family recipe has you do the egg whites separately until stiff - just don't see how this could hold up to freezing. Depends on the type of recipe, though!