🔔
🔎

Best way to store Parmigiano-Reggiano ?

asked by Jo-ell almost 2 years ago
Bigpan

For me, if in a brick I keep it wrapped in the fridge. I also shred and keep in a sealed container in the freezer.

IN PAPER! That's how you bought it, right? You can find "Cheese Paper" from Formaticum out there. Wrap, tape it up and refrigerate. Plastic wrap and parmigiano are not especially good friends. I will politely disagree with my colleague bigpan on freezing. Cheese is a living thing. Don't kill it.

Moi_1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Sometimes when I buy cheese wrapped in plastic, I unwap and let it breathe a little, and then rewrap in paper or foil. Also, I would not pre-shred good quality parmesan.

I'd buy in larges wedges. (which were vac packed at a Costco).
Cut them in half and use one. I've had failures trying to vac pack it at home--until I wrapped it in a paper towel and then vac packed it.
That's for long term storage in the 'fridge---months, even a year. For short term just parchment.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

I'm alwats asking the cheese people for some extra paper to store at home and close with masking tape. I use ziploc bag for short-term storage if I know I'll be using it up. Otherwise, proper cheese paper for me is preferred and never freeeze my cheese, except for parma rinds for soups, stocks & broth.

First off, NEVER use cling wrap with any cheese. If you can, use parchment paper. If not and plastic is the only option, use a zip bag and zip 85% closed to allow room for gas to escape. The shelf life decreases dramatically this way but if you plan your menus appropriately, you will use it.