🔎

A question about a recipe: Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter

I have a question about the recipe "Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter" from Genius Recipes. Can I puree the tomatoes in my food processor without skinning them rather than using a food mill?

2013-0715_marcella-sauce-035
Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I wouldn't. You'll have bits of tomato skin in the sauce, which would be unpleasant. The freezing method works like a charm.

Shital added about 1 year ago

Thanks for the response Mrs. Larkin. I wanted to leave the skin on to maintain the nutrients in the tomato skin. The food mill method didn't state peeling the tomatoes, but I don't have a food mill, so I was hoping to use my food processor.

Mrs._larkin_370

Food mills are great. I have an inexpensive one, and I love it. As you turn the handle on the pressure plate, the pulp passes through the disk and the skins and seeds are left behind. Also great for making apple sauce. When I make pico de gallo for tacos and stuff, I leave the tomato skins and seeds in. And there's nothing better than a simple tomato sandwich in the summertime. But I think this sauce is really special. It’s almost silky. Try it without the skins first, and then try it with the skins and see which you prefer. But in the end, it's your sauce, so if you want the skins in there, leave them in.

Jampro
Bevi added about 1 year ago

When I make the sauce I don't use the skins either. And freezing the sauce is a charm. Incidentally, I use this sauce when making Jenny Perillos' eggplant: http://www.injennieskitchen...

smslaw added about 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Here's a contrary view. I make a lot of tomato puree from fresh tomatoes and a lot of sauce. I never worry about the skins. If you want a really finely textured sauce, use a food processor. I use a stick blender. As you note, the skin is good for you-nutrients and fiber. I don't get people's aversion to tomato skin. We eat BLTs without removing the skins.

There is a very simple middle ground here. Set some water boiling and meanwhile cut a small "X" in the bottom of your tomatoes. Drop the tomatoes in boiling water and watch them for about 30 seconds. The skin will begin to split. Scoop them out and peel. If you want to go the extra step, cut them in half and scoop out seeds with a spoon. They are now ready for your food processor.

Sam1148 added about 1 year ago

While removing the skins are excellent in taste and presentation.
I find it rather odd that in these days of budget and nutrition mindedness. We're still stuck in 'upperclass' type tastes for simple economical food. Now, removing the seeds via a stainer/mill is good..they're bitter..and you can dry and plant them.

To add on to Sam's comment; face it, the seeds are indigestable as are the skins. They are just going to pass right through you. They won't do you any harm along the way (although there is some doubt about that) but just eating skins and seeds is not exactly nourishing. The tomato pulp is what you want to get at.

Mrs._larkin_370

Yes, some people exhibit digestive sensitivities to these indigestible bits. (I speak from experience.) But I'm sure the health benefits of tomatoes outweighs any alleged bad mojo they might have. And if your goal is to naturally increase your fiber intake, then go for it.

Open-uri20130813-26601-v0p6m5
Marcella Hazan added about 1 year ago

The only reason you might be making this - or anything else -is for how it tastes. There is nothing "upper class" about flavor. You may have a mile-long pedigree and still not understand flavor. Skins are distracting to the texture of any sauce, which is why I even peel peppers. You can't really chew skins and if you have to swallow them for nutrition, you are really in a fix. Nor is there any reason to obliterate the natural texture of tomatoes by whipping them to a cream in the food processor. No one is obliged to make this sauce, but if you are going to make it you might as well make it to taste its best.