🔎

How do I prepare stuffed artichokes where the stuffing AND artichoke are perfectly cooked?

The stuffing (whatever it may be) is perfection, but the artichoke itself is hard and uncooked

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added about 1 year ago

it's the artichoke that takes longest to cook. get that cooked through, then stuff(it's usually just like a bread stuffing w/ cheese and maybe some egg though not necessarily) and cook stuffed artichoke til stuffing is hot (and egg has cooked if you have egg in it.)

dazeyduke added about 1 year ago

I've always stuffed my artichokes with breadcrumbs, fresh minced garlic, parsley, freshly ground black pepper and Romano cheese.

The key here is that I don't remove any of the inner choke. I slice off the stem so the artichoke can stand upright. Then I just trim the top and pointed edges of the outer leaves. I then stuff in between all of the layers of leaves so you end up with a bit of stuffing with every bite.

After I stuff them, I pour a generous amount of olive oil over the top and then sauté the outer leaves and bottom of the artichoke in olive oil in a heavy bottomed deep pot until the outer leaves are crisp. Throw the stems in as well, just keep a close eye on them so they don't burn. Then, I add enough water to the bottom of the pot so it covers just the bottom of the artichoke and put a tight fitting lid on the pot and lower the heat, letting the whole artichoke steam, adding small amounts if water when necessary. Watch closely or you will end up with burnt artichokes. The artichokes are done when you can easily pull off the outer leaves, maybe 30-45 minutes, or more, depending on the size.

You get crispy but perfectly cooked artichokes with a bit of stuffing in every bite. Just watch out for the sharp inner choke when you eat it. This recipe has been a family favorite for years.