substitute for milk in bechamel sauce

I have shared the birthday lasagna recipe with a friend and she would love to make it but she is lactose intolerant. Not so much with cheese but the milk would bother her. What can she use without comprimising the flavor/outcome of the Béchamel sauce?

asked by Yessica almost 2 years ago
Junechamp

I have successfully substituted rice milk for the dairy one in bechamel. You might give that a try.

Merrill

Good to know, thanks! I've never tried bechamel with anything other than cow's milk.

In an effort to cut fat + calories, I have in the past substituted:
soy milk OR combo of soy milk and chicken broth OR cooked and pureed butternut squash with soy milk or chicken broth. all work just fine, the flavor is different on all, but all were successful. I rather like the squash with soy combo, you get the right color, silky texture and good flavor.

I just re-read this and realized it's lasagna, not mac + cheese, which is where I have tried these combos. Sorry!

Have you tried any lactose-free milks? I am lactose intolerant and I have never had a problem substituting Organic Valley lactose free milk in cooking or baking.