🔎

• 15

• 1429

• See other questions tagged:
    • cooking

I hate peeling ginger! Does anybody have a trick to peeling my fibrous foe?

Me_in_munich_with_fish
petitbleu added about 1 year ago

I like to use the tip of a spoon to scrape off the skin. It works really well. Freezing the ginger before doing this also helps the skin come off easier.

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added about 1 year ago

Yes! Use the tip of a teaspoon. Works like a charm!

166529_1518330958535_1242330021_31173439_5996867_n
chiaralucia added about 1 year ago

Yep, I swear by the spoon trick too. Also the freezing, makes grating it a lot easier too. I just got a tip that using a teaspoon makes peeling hard boiled eggs a snap too!

witloof added about 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

If you use a Microplane rasp grater, you don't even need to peel it. The small holes will prevent the skin from getting into the grated ginger on the other side.

Hilary_sp1
Hilarybee added about 1 year ago

I don't peel, just use a microplane. When I use ginger slices, I just use a grapefruit spoon with a serrated edge to get the skin off the chunks I'm using.

P1291120
SeaJambon added about 1 year ago

Seconding the edge of a thin spoon for peeling ginger. Haven't tried it frozen -- pretty easy at room temp. I sometimes make a big batch of candied ginger which can have me peeling a pound or more at one time. If you happen to be peeling this quantity, I'd advise doing so with gloves on. The ginger "juice", in quantity, burns and stings. It hasn't been an issue when using a small amount but in quantity, it definitely is.

savorthis added about 1 year ago

I always have ginger in the freezer. Not only is it easy to grate (agree that the microplane, especially the larger holed ones, are ideal), but if you thaw it it is really easy to squeeze for juice.

Dsc_0034
Daria Faulkner added about 1 year ago

vegetable peeler works pretty good for me

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

me too...

P1291120
SeaJambon added about 1 year ago

QueenSashy and Daria -- for fun, give the spoon edge method a try. I, too, used to use the veg peeler but am now positively evangelical about the spoon edge. It is every bit as quick and much easier to get around the knobby pieces, with so much less ginger lost in the peeling. For best results, use a metal spoon with a thin edge. I have some very old iced tea spoons that are excellent for this purpose! Indulge me -- try it once and see if you notice a difference. :)

Moi_1
QueenSashy added about 1 year ago

I am going to give the spoon method a try right away. Does it also work with sunchokes? That's where I usually run into problems.

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added about 1 year ago

sashy, absolutely no need to peel jerusalem artichokes. we never have and we eat them,sliced, in all our salads; ans also do gratins and soups and stews w/ them

Smokin_tokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo added about 1 year ago

If you are using it in a stew or something that cooks for 45 mins or so, just scrub with a vegetable brush and chop to your thickness. Many dishes here keep the peeling on.

Smokin_tokyo

In fact, the ginger marmalade sold here has slices in it with the peeling on.

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added about 1 year ago

I use an inexpensive serrated-edge steak knife. or i cut off/toss the little knobs (not worth the time or pennies)and use a veg peeler.