Can you freeze fresh ginger? Should you peel it first?

asked by Randi almost 4 years ago
Cakecake

Yep, I keep mine in the freezer, wrapped tightly in plastic and foil. I rarely peel mine even when I use it; just use my microplane to grate off what I need, then re-wrap and pop it back in the freezer. The skin gets so finely grated that you don't know it's there.

Maybe it depends on where you live. But I guess my answer would be "why bother?" It's not the most expensive ingredient out there. An alternative to freezing (if it's all about saving money) would be to peel an "arm" or two, and stick em in a small jar and fill it with rice wine vinegar. You can hold that in the refrigerator for a really long time.

I always like to keep a spare piece in the freezer so I don't run out. I don't peel first, i just scrape the part I need with the edge of a spoon if I want it peeled. Just use from frozen, do not thaw. I have heard that you can bury it in potting soil and it will keep a long time, but I haven't tried it.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

By all means, freezing ginger keeps it in great shape and it makes it even easier to grate later, say on a Microplane. I would peel it first because it makes handling it easier when when you need it later. If you do not want to peel that is fine too, but it will make it more of a hassle later when you need ginger.

Kay_at_lake

I've not tried freezing, but I just mine loosely wrapped in plastic in the fridge. It lasts a long time.

Stringio

I freeze mine all the time...it is the first thing I forget when I need it at the grocery. I peel it and chop it into 1-2 inch pieces and put it in either a ziploc or plastic container. I just pop a piece out when I need it. Incidentally, I also freeze peeled and halved bananas in a large ziploc so that when I make smoothies I don't have to use ice.

I'm with testkitchenette - I always freeze my ginger, cut into 1-2 inch pieces, without peeling first. I put them in a freezer bag and use as needed. I usually take a piece out about ten minutes before I want to cut it, and simply use a sharp paring knife to cut away the thin skin and then grate, mince or slice the ginger.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Yes, you can! And you don't have to peel it first. I freeze whole unpeeled gingerroot, and grate with microplane. You could also freeze some 1/2 inch disks as well, depending on what recipes you are using. Wrap in plastic and store in freezer baggy.

Dscf2141

You can store in the freezer as others have mentioned, but you can also peel and chop then store in fridge in sherry. Then you can use the flavored sherry in stir fries and dressings.

Thanks for all the answers to my first pickle.

I can't get ginger to grow here, but in this area it is very inexepensive at the market. Unfortunately, the nearest market is 30 minutes away. I just freeze for emergencies, and for REAL emergencies keep some dried on hand.