I am looking for a store in Manhattan (preferrably downtown near Chelsea) that sells Dried Fermented Black Beans. Any suggestions?

I am interested in making Garlic Chives with Pork and the recipe calls for dried fermented black beans.
http://www.saveur.com/article...

asked by bjones70 about 1 year ago
Monita_photo

You might call Manhattan Fruit Exchange in Chelsea Market to see if they carry it. ((212) 989-2444). You never know...

Thanks for the suggestion. I called Manhattan Fruit Exchange earlier today and was told they do not carry dried fermented black beans. I also tried the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's near me in Chelsea and they also claim not carry the product. The Whole Foods in Chelsea told me that they used to carry it.

Monita_photo

Not Chelsea but you could try Sunrise Mart 494 Broome St
(212) 219-0033

just called sunrise and told they carry the beans. thanks so much for your suggestion - appreciate it!

Monita_photo

Glad it worked out

Scan0004

Any Asian grocery should have them -- and they last indefinitely.

I second susan g - I was about to give the same exact answer. The only thing is, the more "Asian" the market is, the more likely it is that they'll carry those beans. Unfortunately, the more "Asian" the market is, the more trouble you'll have finding it! Another caveat - fermented beans come in many varieties, some jarred and some in plastic vacuum-sealed bags. The type you're looking for (most likely in a plastic bag) imparts a very particular, specific kind of flavor but if you can't find the specific bean, it's not the end of the whole to substitute a variety that comes in a jar. In fact, Lee Kum Kee makes fermented black beans with garlic.

Hi there again - I just consulted with my mother, who is more experienced with traditional Chinese cooking than I am. She and I both agreed that if you are a novice with this type of ingredient, the dried beans in the plastic bag are very strong and an acquired taste. You would almost definitely be better off using the ready made kind in the jar. You can find out more about it in this article https://en.wikipedia.org...

TLD -- thanks so much for your wonderful suggestions!

You're welcome [blush]

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I only use the dried ones in the plastic bag; rinse them off a bit with cold water, if they seem a bit strong. With all due respect, I find the stuff in the jars to be quite unpleasant. Look at the ingredients. Those jars are full of flavoring agents in addition to the black beans. I find that they give the sauce an odd aftertaste. The black beans in bags cost under a dollar at the Chinese grocery where I shop. Give them a try! Don't use a whole lot of them, and combine them with other bold ingredients like fresh garlic, shallots or scallions, soy sauce and rice wine. You may find that you like them! And if you don't, you're not out much. ;o)

Appreciate the suggestion - thanks!