Can I substitute coconut milk for buttermilk in Fried Chicken?

I see lots of recipes for deep frying chicken and other items that use buttermilk. My wife and I keep kosher in the house and would like to know if coconut milk is a preferable substitute or if something else would be better?

asked by BurgeoningBaker over 1 year ago
Monita_photo

I would try soymilk with a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar

Will

You don't even really need to use milk at all. Usually for fried chicken recipes, buttermilk is used because it helps to tenderize the meat, and to allow for more flour to adhere to the skin of the chicken.
You certainly can use Soymilk with lemon juice. I think if you wanted to make "Southern Style" fried chicken without using actual buttermilk, that would be a great choice.
If you want to use coconut milk, make sure you add some acidity to help tenderize.
I bet 3/4 coconut milk and 1/4 pineapple juice would be fantastic.

Valentine's_day_cake

I would not recommend the substitution of buttermilk, with coconut milk!
However, for every cup of buttermilk you need, you can use 1 cup soymilk and add 1 TBSP vinegar to it, and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
Works quite well! Good luck!

Valentine's_day_cake

Works quite well! Good luck!

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

If you want coconut fried chicken then this may be an okay substitute. But the coconut will lend a lot of flavor to the final dish. The reason people use buttermilk is that it's slightly acidic, tenderizing the meat. Secondary benefits being flavoring slightly, and if done correctly, seasoning the meat by the additional of salt and pepper. Honestly, you can get the same benefits by using a whole milk+lemon juice/white vinegar substitute, like some others have suggested, or just use plain, whole fat yogurt (Indian-style).

Me_in_munich_with_fish

Marinate the chicken in pickle juice (dill preferably). Trust me. It's unbelievably delicious. But don't do it for more than a few hours or it can make the meat mushy. This is my favorite treatment for fried chicken.

Baci1

It's rumored that Chik-Fil-A marinates it's chicken in pickle juice.

Jc_profilepic

I have subbed coconut milk (the kind that comes in a can)for buttermilk in a grilled chicken recipe, with very good results. I did this with a Tikka type marinade so the coconut was a welcome flavor. I would say as long as your spices work with coconut then go for it. I agree with everyone who suggested adding some lemon juice; that is part of the magic of buttermilk.

I'm not sure if this is kosher, but many recipes using breaded chicken tenders use mayonnaise as a binder for the breadcrumbs. Has anyone tried this in place of buttermilk in making fried chicken? Perhaps it could be thinned with lemon juice for a better consistency? I realize that this does not have the same consistency as buttermilk and has a higher fat content, so it may not be as good for marinating the chicken as it would be for binding whatever carb you use (breadcrumbs, flour, etc.). I'd be really curious about the result, though!