Antidote for cardamom? I made The Kitchn's Cherry Chutney a while back and the cardamom overwhelms all of the other flavors.

Not only that, the cardamom flavor seems to be intensifying over time. It's just about all you taste. I like a touch of cardamom, but frankly, I can't serve it to others. I followed the recipe exactly, using good green cardamom pods from a good Indian grocery. I crushed the seeds fairly finely (and I spent what seemed like hours pitting cherries for this recipe). Is there anything that can be done to salvage it? Help!! ;o) Thank you.

asked about 1 year ago
Flower-bee

Not sure how many jars you have to deal with, AJ, but perhaps make an extra half batch with later season sour cherries and combine the two to disperse the aroma.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Thanks, Droplet . . . I've been thinking about stirring in some blueberries and lemon juice. Am a bit concerned about the shelf stability, so perhaps I do need to make a duplicate batch without the spice. Haven't seen sour cherries for about a month . . . . and regular cherries are ending soon. Better act ASAP, I guess. ;o)

Monita_photo

Here's a version of that recipe that doesn't call for grinding the cardamom pods. Check it against the recipe you're using, if you want to try again.
http://www.thekitchn.com...
What about adding a little sour cream or yogurt to diffuse the cardamom. It won't quite be a chutney but it may give you a flavor you'd enjoy more

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

Doesn't the recipe state keeping the cardamom pods whole and then fishing the 3 pods out, instead of grinding?

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

It does indeed. I have learned my lesson. (I've used ground cardamom in other fruit chutneys before. I simply had no idea it would overwhelm the way it did in this recipe.) Many thanks. ;o)