🔔
🔎

uses for a pork shoulder bone

I used the meat from a pork shoulder for carnitas--now I have a bone with a fair amount of meat on it left. What should I do with it?

asked by erinrae over 1 year ago
Baci1

Pork bones are a wonderful addition to a chicken broth. My mother always used chicken and pork bones when making the broth for wonton soup, or any egg noodle soup recipe. She says that pork bones add a lovely sweetness to the broth.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

@HalfPint - Great idea about the wonton broth? Besides chicken and pork bones, anything else to add? I've been on a quest to perfect wonton suit that I remember fondly growing up. When I'm getting sick or already ill its my go-to.

Baci1

@sexyLAMBCHOPX, I remember that she gently simmered the bones and an onion in water, skimming the scum off as needed. Don't let it boil or the broth gets cloudy which for a cook like my mother was a ruined broth. After a couple of hours, she seasoned with salt and little sugar. That was about it.

I'm glad to see "use the whole animal" in your tags. Definitely use that bone for stock for any braised pork recipe. Please also put the ears and trotters to use as well if you have those handy. One specific use would be to make carnitas where you would braise the shoulder in stock and finish it in its own fat (lard). It's piglicious.

I think I should have said, make carnitas AGAIN.

There is a recipe on here called Sunday Pork Ragu that is similar to one my grandmother used to make. My grandmother's ragu used to include meat scraped from shoulder bones and shoulder bones were the ones She roasted and used.

My mom uses it for rice and beans. It's perhaps not the healthiest use but it's delicious!