🔎

Quince mead ideas?

My little quince tree only grew two fruit this year. It's not really enough to do any of my regular recipes with, so I thought I would try making a flavoured mead with them (Wild Fermentation style). Any ideas for herbs or spices that would taste good with the quince?

It's my first year making mead, but I'm already brewing a pear and rosemary batch, and a regular honey and water batch, but would like to try something exotic with the quince.

Fsm
David added 7 months ago

Quince is in the apple, pear family so my first thoughts would be the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice family.

Fsm
trampledbygeese added 7 months ago

What are your thoughts on quince with fresh ginger, cinnamon and pepper, something like a poudre dulce spice thing? Or would the flavours go weird while it's fermenting?

David added 7 months ago

I think they'd be fine. I didn't use pepper but I made a beer once with fresh ginger and cinnamon. I might use large pieces of ginger and whole cinnamon sticks and whole peppercorns (and careful with the ginger...it can easily overpower)