A question about a recipe: John Besh's Green Olive Tapenade

2013-1011_green-olive-tapenade-127

I have a question about the recipe "John Besh's Green Olive Tapenade" from Merrill Stubbs. What type of olives would you suggest using? Also, any veg friendly substitutes for the anchovies or will I lie losing a key aspect of the spread?

asked by ATG117 10 months ago

I made this the other day and it's delicious! I was inspired by the photo and used green pitted olives. I'm not sure what kind they were, however I used two different types which were offered at my markets olive bar. I don't think you can go wrong. As for the anchovy replacement, here's a link to a prior discussion on the Food 52 hotline regarding that topic. Here's the link http://food52.com/hotline...

Chris_in_oslo

Picholines or Lucques.

Merrill

Lucques and Picholines are both great options. You might also try Cerignolas.

My personal favorite for the green ones are Castelvetrano. Cerignolas are great because they are big, fat and easy to pit. Don't forget your capers! Its not tapenade without capers. For me anchovies are an essential component but it's not the most assertive flavor if you use good ones. So buy good ones and not the "pizza anchovies".