🔔
🔎

wonton wrappers same as eggroll wrappers?

Making beet ravioli, trying to save time by not making the pasta. Are wonton wrappers same as eggroll wrappers? Produce guy is telling me they are but not that I don't trust my produce guy I just trust you guys more.

asked by Lucia from Madison 5 months ago
Image

Well wonton wrappers won't give you quite the same result as homemade pasta, but I can definitely relate to the urge to trim a few corners!! That said, I believe egg roll wrappers and wonton wrappers are "close enough for government work," as they say, other than the obvious size difference.

Photo_for_web

Yes I opted to put off the construction of the ravioli until I can make the pasta.
But can I freeze the filling. It has an egg yolk in it and homemade ricotta cheese?

Image

Definitely - I've frozen a ricotta/spinach mix for stuffed shells many a time.

Unlikely.

Junechamp

Wonton wrappers and egg roll wrappers are made of the same "stuff," but the wonton wrappers are smaller. I know lots of folks use them instead of making the ravioli (or kreplach) dough, but I don't like them as a sub for either...

I am with you, Chef June. They are a poor substitute.

Photo_for_web

Just so everyone knows I ended up using the egg roll wrappers for... Egg Rolls! Home made Egg Rolls! Delicious!

Junechamp

mmmm Lucia from Madison! I hope you'll post your recipe.