The timing on the potluck post is great as I am invited to bring a dish to a break-the-fast this Saturday after Yom Kippur. I love the idea of the panzanella salad, but obvs need a replacement for the bacon. Any ideas out there?

asked by madeinmb almost 4 years ago
Image

For break the fast, you really want light food--people haven't eaten all day--which is why a "dairy" meal is usually served. Can you make a panzanella salad with no meat/bacon whatsoever? The rest of the ingredients would be great.

Dsc_0048b

Most panzanella recipes do not include bacon or any other meat. Stale good quality bread, fresh tomatoes, some cucumbers, maybe capers, garlic, parsley and a vinaigrette. My favorite version is from way, way back - an old Frugal Gourmet recipe.

Dsc_0048b

oops - forgot the basil and onion!

Image

Here's what we usually have at break fast (definitely potluck style)--bagels, lox, cream cheese and other cheeses, tomatoes. A challah and maybe tuna and/or egg salad. Two or three quiches. (My friend Mollie makes an incredible crustless quiche.) A mixed green salad. Fruit and more cheeses. Some sweets--but fairly light--some cookies, maybe a fruit pie or two. Because we're theoretically in temple all day, it's stuff you can make ahead that can be served at room temperature and isn't a lot of work to prepare or clean up. Saturday night break fast can be a lot of fun--no one has to get up for work the next day. I hope it's fun for you.

Thanks all! I think I will go with the panzanella salad recipe here on Food52 --without meat. Prep everything before hand and assemble when I arrive at the party. Hope everyone has an easy fast.