🔎

Live in New York City but will also order by mail or via Web. Where can I find good lard or the makings for doing it myself?

Birthday_2012
Sunshine-small

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Voted the Best Answer!

Tam09 Flying Pigs Farm sells at the Union Square Farmer's Market as well as Grand Army Plaza in Park Slope. They sell *excellent* lard though you might want to call or email them to make sure they set some aside for you -- it goes fast.

(Full disclosure -- I spent a week working at their farm. Though that also means I can attest that they have a farm full of VERY happy pigs.)

dahliat added over 3 years ago

Haven't purchased it myself, but I've seen it for sale by the pork guys at the Fort Greene farmers market, probably for sale at one of the meat vendors at the Union Square farmers market as well.

Dsc00674
Sadie added over 3 years ago

Dickson's Farmstand Meats at the Chelsea Market makes excellent lard...incidentally, they have suet, too!

Birthday_2012

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Thank you!! Was hoping for a place besides the farmer's market, where the lard would be available more days and it wouldn't be so likely to sell out. And then to find suet as well-- gosh!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Call the best butchers in town, i.e., the ones who sell grass-fed beef, really superior pork products, organic chickens, etc. There is an increasing demand for lard, so you might be surprised what they have in their refrigerator cases. Also, remember that lard lasts forever in the fridge. So, plan a trip to a Greenmarket, and buy a couple of containers (the Flying Pig Farms costs less than half per pound than what we pay out here in SF, by the way). Flying Figs does sell it online, via The Shop here on food52. You're very close, geographically, so the shipping won't be prohibitive. ;o)

Just to be clear, what you are probably looking for is called "leaf lard" as opposed to the manteca sold in Hispanic markets. The latter has a very strong flavor. Leaf lard is good for pastries where manteca is not. Leaf lard you will most likely need to render yourself but you can get good cracklins as a by product. Surfas in Culver City also sells it frozen and I'm pretty sure you can by it on line. Know your lard! There are some classic Italian flatbreads such as the piadina which require pastry quality lard.

Birthday_2012

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Thanks, lots of leads to follow up! Also, new information about lard I didn't even know to ask for...