🔔
🔎

I want to freeze a half batch of cooked chickpeas/garbanzo beans. Do I freeze them in the cooking water or drained and dry? Thanks.

asked by Eliana60 almost 4 years ago
Dsc_0122.nef-1

I usually freeze my extra boiled chickpeas without the water, this way its easier to thaw out & cook. (thats a personal choice since I'm not too crazy about the thick glutinous texture of the water that develops due to the leached proteins)

I also freeze the cooked chickpeas without water. Much easier to just throw the lump of frozen chickpeas into a soup or whatever, rather than having to thaw them and get rid of the water before using.

Anita_date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I agree. They will cook faster and be easy to portion out for your recipe.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

I freeze all sorts of beans frequently. I follow Lorna Sass' directions for making them in the pressure cooker. After cooling I measure out 1 1/2 cups of beans into those inexpensive plastic containers, then I add just enough of the bean cooking liquid to cover. I toss them in the freezer and when solid I remove them from the container. At that point you have a block of beans. Then I repackage them with my FoodSaver, mark type of bean and date, store in deep freeze. I thaw at room temperature or in the microwave which only takes moments. You could also thaw by putting the packet in a bowl of warm water. The bean liquid doesn't seem to get too thick & I save it for use in soups, stews, etc rather than stock. Hope this helps.

Good advice here but look upwards and you'll see a smoky fried chickpea recipe. Thats what i'm going to do A.S.A.P.

Scan0004

I freeze them with the liquid, as HellonKitchen does, leaving them in my pint containers. If I drained the liquid, I think they might become dry or pick up those off smells from the freezer -- I may leave them for months.
I have maybe 3 kinds of beans in the freezer at a time, so I feel ready to go.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

More notes: if you freeze them without liquid for any length of time, you run the risk of freezer burn.

If I want to freeze beans in liquid, I use the same bean-liquid ratio that HelloKitchen describes. If I'm not planning to use my beans in something soupy or stewy, I like to spread the beans in a single layer on a cookie sheet and par-freeze them. After they're mostly frozen, I transfer them to a plastic zip-top bag (be sure to force out all air). This method preserves the structure and shape of the bean -- perfect for salads, quesadillas and the like.

I froze my beans to use later, without the water, just in a bag and they have been fine! I used them once so far fried and in a salad and they were great! Now they are waiting to be falafal this week and I hope they will be fine!