🔔
🔎

quinoa for millet?

Hi, I'm deciding whether or not i can make the edamame burgers from food network.com. the recipe calls for toasted millet but i dont have millet right now. i have quinoa. can i substitute it? (the millet is prepared and then seasoned and mixed with the edamame to make the burgers)

http://www.foodnetwork...

asked by marinabeth over 3 years ago
5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

That should work just fine! When you cook the quinoa, use one part quinoa to three parts water (instead of 1:2 for millet). Quinoa absorbs water much more readily. Go ahead and toast the quinoa before cooking it, like the instructions say for the millet.

They have the same cooking times, if my memory serves me. It's a good substitution too, in terms of size and texture. One of the comments on the recipes mentions having substituted bulgur and it worked...the recipe looks flexible that way.

It should work, and it'll probably by yummier, too! Millet just tastes like mushy rocks to me.

I don't pre-cook millet because I like its crunch, but with quinoa you must, or it will be like chewing on tiny bb's.

I think it's a good substitution but quinoa needs to be rinsed or it will be bitter so I don't think toasting is necessary. I would rinse, cook and add it instead of the millet in your recipe.