🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Candymaking no-no: made a brittle on a humid day - now it's sticky. Any thoughts on how to "de-stickify" it?

asked by Savorykitchen about 4 years ago

Oh, and *please* don't tell me to never make brittle on a humid day - I'm in a fragile stage. :-) I know better, but I did it anyway.

Canposter

My house does NOT have air conditioning, so I feel your pain. To save the brittle, you may want to try this... Do you have a de-humidifier? If you do, set it up in a small room or bathroom and place your brittle in the same room. It should take a few hours for the de-humidifier to suck the moisture out of the air.

Thanks Christina - that's my thought too - I'm setting up my dehumidifier in a small bathroom - fingers crossed!

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I wonder what would happen if you put it in the freezer?? It's basically a giant dehumidifier.

Dust it with powdered sugar.. This works great!!!

Desert

Take some peanuts and put them in your food processor with some powdered sugar and a pinch of cocoa powder. Run processor until you have a fine powder. It should be a nice color, other than stark white. Put it in a sealable container add pieces and shake like shake and bake until coated and not sticky.

Another trick: heat oven to temp the you baked brittle and put brittle back in the oven just long enough to heat up. Remove and cool. If still humid I don't think this will help. But if chewy an dstill humid do this and then dredge in the sugar and peanut mixture.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Mrs L - my freezer is too full and these are full sheet pans of brittle anyway (WAY too big for my freezer).

Debbie I think I'll try the powdered sugar on a small section and see how it works.

Donny - This would normally work, but it's bacon brittle - no peanuts - just crisp porkiness. I didn't know you could bake brittle either, I do mine on the stovetop. Do you have a recipe for that type of brittle?