🔎

Am craving cod cakes(bought nice cod at union sq today)...any thoughts on whether I should cook the cod first or assemble raw but chopped?

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I'd slow roast the cod first (undercook it slightly), then flake it. Let cool. Make your cod cake mixture. Chill (they'll cook better). Then brown in a pan.

wingirl added almost 3 years ago

Excellent plan,thank you! If there are leftovers or too much, would you recommend I freeze assembled uncooked or cooked?

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I'd freeze them assembled but not yet sauteed.

My own inclination would be to poach it in water with a little bit of vinegar and thoroughly drain. But yes, whether you poach or roast, you should give it a pre-cook stage.

wingirl added almost 3 years ago

Thanks pierino, I roasted per amandas rec (and did have to drain a bit) and they are now in the fridge getting used to their new shape - will let you know how they turn out!

It's been one seriously long day, and I'd like to come to your house for this lovely dinner.

Sasha_with_ava
Sasha (Global Table Adventure) added almost 3 years ago

Wingirl, sounds like you're on your way. Post a pic when cooked.

wingirl added almost 3 years ago

The steamed artichokes with vinaigrette were delicious and so was the scallop ceviche...but alas the codcakes were not my finest moment - a little dry (amanda suggested i undercook the fish and I tried, but...) and sadly too bland. But I haven't given up - as a big fan of anything "cake" - crab, shrimp, fish...I will persevere!! Thanks all! Oh and Boulangere, hope today is better! Hang in there!

Jampro
Bevi added almost 3 years ago

Use a little Old Bay seasoning next time you make fish cakes. Just a little will go a long way.

Junechamp

I like a little Creole seasoning mix in my fish cakes. Wakes up the flavor so nicely.

wingirl added almost 3 years ago

Thanks all! Believe it or not I did use Old Bay, and Lemon and lemon zest and finely chopped scallions and mayonnaise, eggs and mustard...just need more of all of it. Am making the ones I froze, this weekend and am thinking a smoked paprika or caper remoulade will be a nice addition...stay tuned!

Summer of Eggplant added almost 3 years ago

This is how I make mine. The recipe is at the bottom of the page but it sounds like you are headed in this direction already. Let us know how your tweaks work out.

http://summerofeggplant...

wingirl added almost 3 years ago

oooh yum, thanks summer of eggplant! Might try that next time...my three daughters were able to choke them down despite the dry blandness :) - so next time I am trying salmon!!

Dsc_0028
cookbookchick added almost 3 years ago

Summer of Eggplant -- I checked out your recipe. You use uncooked cod, right?

Yes, uncooked cod. Sear in pan and finish in oven.

ChefDaddy added almost 3 years ago

I actually prefere to freeze after forming. They are alot easier to handle.