🔔
🔎

Am craving cod cakes(bought nice cod at union sq today)...any thoughts on whether I should cook the cod first or assemble raw but chopped?

asked by wingirl over 3 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I'd slow roast the cod first (undercook it slightly), then flake it. Let cool. Make your cod cake mixture. Chill (they'll cook better). Then brown in a pan.

Excellent plan,thank you! If there are leftovers or too much, would you recommend I freeze assembled uncooked or cooked?

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I'd freeze them assembled but not yet sauteed.

My own inclination would be to poach it in water with a little bit of vinegar and thoroughly drain. But yes, whether you poach or roast, you should give it a pre-cook stage.

Thanks pierino, I roasted per amandas rec (and did have to drain a bit) and they are now in the fridge getting used to their new shape - will let you know how they turn out!

It's been one seriously long day, and I'd like to come to your house for this lovely dinner.

Img_0788_hsm

Wingirl, sounds like you're on your way. Post a pic when cooked.

The steamed artichokes with vinaigrette were delicious and so was the scallop ceviche...but alas the codcakes were not my finest moment - a little dry (amanda suggested i undercook the fish and I tried, but...) and sadly too bland. But I haven't given up - as a big fan of anything "cake" - crab, shrimp, fish...I will persevere!! Thanks all! Oh and Boulangere, hope today is better! Hang in there!

Cakes

Use a little Old Bay seasoning next time you make fish cakes. Just a little will go a long way.

Junechamp

I like a little Creole seasoning mix in my fish cakes. Wakes up the flavor so nicely.

Thanks all! Believe it or not I did use Old Bay, and Lemon and lemon zest and finely chopped scallions and mayonnaise, eggs and mustard...just need more of all of it. Am making the ones I froze, this weekend and am thinking a smoked paprika or caper remoulade will be a nice addition...stay tuned!

This is how I make mine. The recipe is at the bottom of the page but it sounds like you are headed in this direction already. Let us know how your tweaks work out.

http://summerofeggplant...

oooh yum, thanks summer of eggplant! Might try that next time...my three daughters were able to choke them down despite the dry blandness :) - so next time I am trying salmon!!

Dsc_0028

Summer of Eggplant -- I checked out your recipe. You use uncooked cod, right?

Yes, uncooked cod. Sear in pan and finish in oven.

I actually prefere to freeze after forming. They are alot easier to handle.