🔔
🔎

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

The one time I had this, I stored it just like fresh ginger, wrapped in the produce drawer of my fridge. It stayed pretty fresh about 2 weeks, just like ginger. I've never frozen it, but I imagine you could.

Wonderful gift. Lucky you.

That's a great looking specimen. I've frozen it before--it tends to be more watery in texture upon grinding after freezing, though I thought the flavor held up well.

110

I'm no expert, but you might oven-dry some if you want it to last.

Thanks Pickle Pals! I'm going to freeze some, store some in the fridge, try to replant some and see where that gets me. I'm working for a company that designs and installs/maintains custom kitchen gardens and gifts like this (from a client's garden - they did not want it) is definitely a perk! (Dirt facials, not so much!)

Dsc_0122.nef-1

It stays for a long time wrapped in newspaper & stored in the chiller. I usually stick a couple of the roots (with the with those pale mounds, indicative of a spouting area) into the soil & let them grow. Ditto with ginger or any rhizome & get!
Fresh grated turmeric (maybe 1/4 -1/2 a tsp) in a glass of warm milk with a pinch of black pepper & honey is a natural great cough suppressant.

Screen_shot_2011-01-25_at_1_15_11_pm
Dan Soloway

Dan is the founder of Kitchen Options

Wrap the tumeric (make certain it is dry) in paper towel, place in plastic bag and put in the refrigerator. Should last 2 to 3 weeks. You can freeze it like ginger, however, the consistency changes in a similar way to the way ginger freezes.

Avatar

Beyondcelery you should leave your fresh ginger on the counter - it wil mould in the fridge - on the counter it keeps (literally) for months!