A question about a recipe: Shrimp Scampi

Dsc_0023

I have a question about the recipe "Shrimp Scampi" from mtlabor.
Why do you leave the shrimp tails on in this recipe and others? Always though it was a pita to eat themwith the tails on.

asked by santa about 3 years ago
Gator_cake

I think the main reason is presentation. Remove them if you prefer and the recipe should still be delicious! The only time I found them a pita was when they were inside a sandwich - really! shrimp tail shells inside the sandwich!

Chris_in_oslo

Go ahead, and crunch them up if you want. They aren't toxic. Otherwise, think of them as a little handle that you will discard. Not maybe so good in a sandwich but okay and maybe useful if you're sitting around, drinking and eating.

I always prefer shrimp cooked shell on. Better flavor and better texture. Shelled shrimp have a tendency to get mushy when they are cooked shell off. There's an enzyme that releases as soon as they die that causes the flesh to begin to break down. Peel at the table and they'll taste better. Also, "shrimp scampi" is kind of redundant because scampi are shrimp, a translation might be "shrimp shrimps".