🔎

Pink Shrimp from Argentina - How do they compare?

My local market has what they are calling Argentinian Pink Shrimp. The shell appears to be thicker than Key West Pink Shrimp. Anyone ever eaten this type of shrimp? If yes, how does the taste and texture compare?

nutcakes added almost 3 years ago

I haven't had them, but I've heard other rave about the ones you can sometimes ffind frozen at Trader Joe's. They never stay in stock very long, so I'd give them a go.

GeWill42 added over 2 years ago

Yes I have eaten the Argentina shrimp they are sweeter than your regular shrimp almost like lobster very tasty. Yes, a little thicker in the shell so you if you cook them with the shell on cook them a little longer then other shrimp. Also, I've gotten my shrimp from Harris Teeter.

BKB525 added about 2 years ago

Actually, I work for a company that imports these Shrimp You DO NOT want to overcook them as they get mushy very easily. Just boil or steam for a couple of minutes or until flesh is firm.

thespicegirl added over 2 years ago

Wow! I'm curious to try and will definitely be on the lookout. I moved from Argentina one year ago. We were there for 3 years. I love seafood but Argentines prefer beef so it was slim pickings on the seafood. I bought and cooked shrimp a few times but was never overly impressed with them. I'm going to be on the lookout for these.

Sam1148 added over 2 years ago

I haven't tried those. But look into "rock shrimp" from the east coast of Florida--which might be similar to the key west shrimp you mention.

Very thick shell, and almost lobster like in taste. It's rare to find them with shell-on frozen because the shell is very thick and difficult to remove.

JIMTHECOOK added over 2 years ago

Img_0492 In my expirence, the Key West Pink is an excellent warm water shrimp. I will have the characteristic red spot on the side of the shell, the "hopper spot". The Argentine Pink is also an excellent shrimp but that is where they depart. the Argentine Pink is completely different in taste, texture and applications.

They are cold water wild shrimp caught of the Southern cvoast of Argentina. They are thin shelled and very delicate. Similar in texture to a cold water Norweigan shrimp but much bigger. The predominate size is a 16/20 count with good availability of U/15's, 21/25's and smaller.

The trick with this shrimp is in how they are prepared. They cook very fast. They are excvellent saute'd or boilled. Do not steam them, it is too hard to control the cooking time. They are fully cooked when the flesh turns from translucent to opaque. If you over cook them, the'll shrink and become chewy.

BKB525 added about 2 years ago

Yes, you are completely correct. Very few grovery stores carry them. Harris Teeter in the southesat carries the 16/20's.

Deedogg added about 2 years ago

I also purchased my shrimp from Harris Teeter. My question is why did the water turn pink when I rinsed them....they're supposed to be wild, thus not dyed like some farm raised salmon. I don't think they taste like lobster at all. I grilled mine on the Foreman grill. I am going to try them next in brown rice, Asian style.

CaryNC added about 2 years ago

Yes I purchased these from Harris Teeter. The shell is bright pink when raw and there is often dark pink "gunky stuff" along with the vein (not sure if it's edible so I discard). I gently cook these in butter or split in half lengthwise and broil for 3-4 mins. The meat is super sweet and tender. To me it compares to lobster but sweeter. Deedogg for some reason the rinse water does turn pink - I think it's just their natural coloring not a dye. They are a deep water shrimp thus the thick shell.

PHENNAH added about 2 years ago

We also get these at Harris Teeter here in Virginia. We had them tonight baked with butter and black pepper and Old Bay seasoning. Scrumptious! They are sweet, rather lobster-like and very tender. We eat the above mentioned pink gunk with no issues. I am thinking that their pinkness might be wholesome as they may have astaxanthin in them, perhaps from eating krill????? Anyway they're wonderful and not farmed (yet) so get them when you see them. To bake them: Preheat oven to 425, melt a stick of butter in a 13 x 9 pan. Put about 2 Tbsp. black pepper and Old Bay seasoning (to taste) in the butter and mix it around. Add the shrimp and stir to coat on all sides. Bake for about 15 minutes or so or until done. The ones we get are usually extra large so they take a bit longer. This is a great, easy recipe. Put newspaper on the table and eat them right out of the pan. Get a cold beer as that goes well with them. Enjoy!

GIOVANNI50 added about 2 years ago

The pink color is due to iodine on the shell from the krill and other items.

bsecr8t2000 added almost 2 years ago

I get mines from Harris Teeter. They cost about 12.99 a pound. Everytime I go there the shrimp are available.